My, how she's grown!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

EB

I'm not sure if you noticed the buttons for Jonah and Tripp on the right side of my blog. These children were born with a rare genetic disease called epidermolysis bullosa. They are basically missing the glue that holds their skin on. This results in horrible blisters (inside and out) and a myriad of health problems. Their is no cure and their lives are cut short by this horrible, cruel disease.

The University of Minnesota is using stem cell therapy on some of these patients and are seeing good results.   The unfortunate part is that the children get extremely close to death's door during the process.

Why am I telling you this? Well, my heart has been aching for these children. I have literally sobbed for the last 3 nights while checking for updates. I so desperately want to help them but what can I do? I believe that this is so close to my heart for a reason. If I ever become a nurse (no, I didn't get into nursing school this time around, sigh) maybe I could work with these patients. I don't know. I just feel like I need to do something.

The one thing that I CAN do is to donate to DEBRA (Dystrophic Epidermolysis Bullosa Research Association of America) . This organization is a necessity to families dealing with this horrible disease.

Please pray for these children and families. And consider making a donation to DEBRA or the families. It is just so heartbreaking and completely unfair. No one should have to deal with something so horrible...

There are not enough words....

My heart is breaking...

1 comment:

Linda said...

Hi Leah:
I just wanted to thank you again for supporting EB research and putting the DEBRA connection on your blog. We have to erase this terrible disease. Someone once said that EB is the worst disease you never heard of. How true, how true.
Maybe with this research and the BMT there might be a cure in the future, but hopefully it can be an easier road for these EB children.
Take care and thanks again for your interest in EB. Love Leah's Nana