My, how she's grown!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, June 22, 2009

Dear little girl...

My sweet baby girl,

You almost gave your mommy a heart attack yesterday. I understand that you may have been sleepy because you partied so hard the day before. But I am begging you, please move at least a little every day so I know you are ok in there. My biggest goal in life right now is to keep you safe and have you born kicking and screaming in 2 months time. I love you fiercely already and can't wait to hold you in my arms.

Love,
Your devoted Mama

So, what am I talking about? I had my first trip to L&D last night. BB moved so much on Friday and Saturday that I was actually able to relax for moments at a time. Then comes Sunday. She barely moved all day yesterday. I felt maybe 6 or 7 movements all day long. I kept eating sweet things and drinking OJ. I probably gained 5 pounds just trying to get her to move! Thank GOD that I have a doppler. I would have most likely lost my mind if I would not have been able to hear her heartbeat (3 times yesterday!). I've heard that no movement can be a sign of fetal distress, even if there is a strong heart beat. I waited until after dinner to see if she would move. No go. Then we walked the dogs and I started feeling crampy. I came home and drank a big glass of ice water and some OJ and laid down. Crampys went away but still no movement! It was around 10:00 p.m. by this point. I called my friend Keri and asked her what to do. She's so great and said to just call the on call doctor to be safe. So, I did. They called me back and said that most likely everything is fine but to go to L&D to be checked out just in case. We headed to the hospital and they hooked me up to the monitors. The second the monitor hit my belly BB started kicking away. Little Rascal! I was on the monitors for about 2 hours and she was moving and shaking the entire time. Thank you God! The doctor came in and said everything looks great. They were really sweet and said they would rather me come in every day than to wait and something go terribly wrong. Oh, and she did a cervix check. I really think she was trying to check my tonsils, just from the wrong end. It wasn't painful, just TONS of pressure. Cervix was long and closed. Whew!

I know every doctor has a different opinion on kick counts. My OB told me not to do them until around 35 weeks. But most of what I have seen says to start around 28 weeks. What have you heard? Some info says you should feel 12 movements in 2 hours, some 10 movements in one hour (this is what the hospital OB said). I don't know! I'm just glad that baby girl is ok. She's moving this morning so Yay! I go back to the doctor next Thursday. Hopefully we can get another ultrasound!

4 comments:

Marcia (123 blog) said...

My word.

BB, don't give your mommy a fright like that again soon!

Maybe it's a girl thing - one Sunday (actually it was 31 May) my girl was very still too and on the Monday morning I was like "that's it!" So I said to her, "listen to me, baby, if you don't move 10 times in the next hour, we're going to the doctor" Poor thing was probably so scared she moved 9 times in about 15 minutes and then I stopped counting :)

Anonymous said...

So glad everything was okay!

Sounds like a doppler is a good investment :)

Kellye said...

I'm so sorry! I had no idea this happened. I'm so glad to hear that everything is ok.
Be good little one!

White Picket Fences said...

I can't tell you how many times I've told the nurses that I hadn't felt movement in what seemed like days only to have the baby kick the monitor the second they put it on. I'm glad everything was okay! Always, always better to be safe than sorry . . .

My favorite trick now is to use a flashlight ..I'm not sure how far along you have to be for that to work ..but when he doesn't move, I put a flashlight on one side of my stomach and he looks at it ..then I move it around to make him move. Rather entertaining!