My, how she's grown!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Pre Natal Screenings

I have really been thinking alot about the whole business of 1st trimester screenings, quad screens, etc. Looking back, I wish I would have never done the 1st trimester screen. I have seen countless blogs (including mine) where the results show "increased risk for XYZ" and it causes immediate grief, anxiety and pain. As we all know, these screenings are not conclusive either way. Just because you have an increased risk does not mean that you will have a baby born with that condition. Just because you have no increased risk does not mean that your baby will be born without the condition. Why do we put ourselves through that and why do doctors even push for this to be done? I just don't get it! I understand the ultrasound part, and making sure that everything is in working order. But the bloodwork? I know it's all about certain levels being higher or lower than normal. But did you know they take the mother's weight and ethnic background into account? And of course, age. Did you know that once you are 35 you are immediately tagged with a 1 in 50 (or something close) risk of down's syndrome? Even if there are no other markers? Why do we even bother doing these screens?

When the positive screen comes back, we are forced to make a decision if we want to do an amniorightnow to know for sure. This in itself can cause miscarriage. I don't know about you, but for someone who is on her 4th pregnancy with no live babies yet, the risk of causing another miscarriage is simply not worth it. So, we wait and wonder if our babies are going to be born with special needs or if they are going to be "normal" (all relative). For those of us who would not terminate the pregnancy, the only reason to do an amnio is for peace of mind. But then we risk killing our unborn child just for peace of mind? Some doctors will argue that it's best to know ahead of time so the baby can be well taken care of at birth. While I agree with this, aren't babies born every day with special needs that no one knows about until birth? They are just as well taken care of as babies who were diagnosed with something in utero.

This has been something that has been at the front of my mind since getting a positive screen for DS...or should we say, increased odds for your age/weight/ethnic group. ?? It has tormented me from the moment I found out. And I hate it! I have really had to force myself to think about what it will be like to have a child with DS. If it happens, how different will our lives be? How do I protect my child from the hatefulness of others? How do I provide the best care for a special needs child? But you know what? I would do all of these things anyway...regardless of their needs status. My husband and I talked in length last week about it...we've been kinda sweeping it under the rug, too terrified to talk about it. But once we got it all out in the open, it was better. I was ready to have an amnio done now just to know. But then realized that I could risk pre-term labor, infection, etc. We said no thank you. So, we wait for 10 more weeks to find out. In the meantime, I am going to prepare for her arrival! And you know what else? I'm not so much worried about her status at birth as I am about making sure she gets to the birthing point! Still birth is by far my greatest fear at this point. So, I pray non-stop, feel terrified 99.9% of the time and hope for the best. So, LaLa, this is for you. You will get through this and you will be ok. No matter what! We'll get through it together!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I'd ever do the screenings, because even if I did have a baby with DS, I would never terminate the pregnancy.
A lady in my sister's church had been told her child definitely had DS (not sure what tests she had done). Their baby was born and was completely fine! So even when they're "sure", they're not always right.

Either way, I agree that I don't think doctors should push the tests on women. It just causes unnecessary anxiety, like you said.

Amy (TheGiggleWorm) said...

{{HUGS}} to you :)

Paula Keller said...

Thanks for your words of encouragement! I just blipped over your history again, and told my husband who was like WOW! She's definitely been through as much crap (actually more) than we've been through. Although, you know I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Somehow it's comforting though to know that you're not the only one who's had trouble - and of course more comforting to see someone have success.

Anyway, I'm so sorry to hear you're still worrying. I hope and pray that everying is fine. Sometimes too much information causes undue stress. Hugs.