My, how she's grown!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Generosity

A couple of months ago I got a mass email from our social worker asking for foster parents to give her a wish list for their kids Christmas gifts. Well, I assumed that this did not mean us....AB is in an adoptive placement. Not foster care. Turns out that he was included and I was amazed! So, we gave her a list of his likes. We went to the agency Christmas party last weekend and they told us to make sure and get the gift bags before we left. They absolutely loaded him up with stuff! Nice things...legos, skateboard helmet, clothes, transformers, science kits...I was so blown away by their generosity. We let him open a couple of things and the rest we wrapped and put under the tree. Not only is it wonderful for him, but it gives us a boost as well. We don't go nuts for Christmas, but we did want him to have a nice one. And it will be. But that made it even nicer.

Fast forward to Friday when a package arrived on my doorstep. It was another package of gifts from CPS for AB! What?! It was full of all kinds of neat toys. Nice things!! Once again...blown away.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that all of these toy drives, etc., are set up for kids just like AB. Imagine what his Christmas would have been like in foster care without the generosity of people who simply care about children. I have made a committment that we will, from this point forward, donate toys, money, etc. for the holidays. It really hits home...and I've been very selfish over the years. No more! I want a child to feel special, just like AB did and does. It truly warms my heart to think of those people who gave so much to this little Texan...that I get to call my son.  Thank you. It means more than you know.

Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

MissNoAngel (find me on Twitter) said...

Wow, that's awesome! So glad he (and the rest of you) will be having a wonderful Christmas this year.

the misfit said...

I never realized that the toy drives would benefit foster kids (I thought they were for kids who had families, but not much money). That will really make me think more next Christmas!