My, how she's grown!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, December 11, 2009

I Hate Pacifiers

I thought, in the beginning, that BB would not be taking a pacifier. You know, because I would be breastfeeding and have gallons of milk and I didn't want her to have nipple confusion. Then I woke up and realized the girls were as dry as a bone. Since that didn't matter, we started giving it to her and realized that it really did soothe her. But she has this pattern...it goes something like this...

GIVE ME MY PACI NOW!!!
NOM NOM NOM NOM
Calm Baby
Spit pacifier out
GIVE ME MY PACI NOW!!!
NOM NOM NOM NOM
Calm Baby
Spit pacifier out
GIVE ME MY PACI NOW!!!

NOM NOM NOM NOM
Calm Baby
Spit pacifier out

TIMES INFINITY!!!!! Makes me want to RIP OUT MY HAIR!! (and it usually happens around 4 am)
 
So, we have an Angel Care Monitor. Ever heard of it? It is a sensor pad that goes under the baby's mattress and alarms if no movement is felt for at least 20 seconds. It really gives me peace of mind!! But, since moving BB into her baby bed, the blasted thing has gone off several times. She has been breathing every time. It's just if she moves too far off of the sensor pad no movement is "sensed" and the alarm sounds. It happened several times on Sunday and Monday and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was going on! Finally, I pulled the bed apart to inspect everything and just happened to look at the sensitivity setting. 5 is most sensitive and 1 is least. Well, my lovely husband decided to change the setting to 1 because he thought that was the right thing to do. Arrrrggghhh!! I could have choked him! So, I put the setting back to 5 and we have had no problems. Until last night. Now, I have no idea how our brains work and how our bodies can be in motion while we are still asleep. But let me tell you, I woke up standing over BB's bed with my hand on her chest. My heart was pounding and and I was terrified!!  It took me a few seconds to realize what happened. The alarm went off (at 2:30 am) and my husband and I both jumped up to check on her. I don't know how we didn't slam into each other in the process! I managed to throw the covers back, jump out of bed, step over 2 dog beds in the floor and get to her. All without falling or stepping on a dog or knocking over my husband. She was fine and breathing...she just scooted to the edge of the bed and her movement wasn't being picked up. This apparently happens to alot of people. I will take the false alarms because heaven forbid something truly did happen, at least I know that it works. But man, did I almost have a heart attack!! The sensor pad is probably 8 inches square. Why can't the company just make the sensor pad larger and then this wouldn't happen? Maybe I should call and tell them what I think!

3 comments:

Kahla said...

Oh Lord, I'd freak out. I'm already a freak since my twin passed from SIDS, if I heard that alarm go off I'd kill myself trying to get to her. I agree, they need a bigger pad!

As for the paci, Emery won't take one and I would so love it if she did so she could have it to soothe. She nurses very little now (the girls just ain't making it for her) and only gets one full bottle of EBM a day and we've tried to get her on the paci but she really won't take any (and we've tried a bunch). Guess it's a no win.

Marcia (123 blog) said...

Oh YES, I know, they drive me crazy when they spit it out. But it's magic when it works and they fall asleep nicely.

I counted one night and I replaced Connor's one about 10 times in 15 minutes. Grrrr!

I know I'm rocking the boat here but we don't have a monitor!

P.S. I gave you an award

MissNoAngel (find me on Twitter) said...

I agree, the Angelcare monitors are a FANTASTIC product, that could be SOOO much better! I really wish those mats were bigger, more like a mattress pad maybe?

And I totally cracked up when I read about how you "woke up" standing over your daughter. My husband and I did that SO many times when the girls were on their apnea monitors! I'll never forget that fear. Eeeps.