My, how she's grown!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, January 11, 2010

It keeps getting scarier....

Since the physical therapist did not see any issues with BB's muscles, the pediatrician wants us to go see a cranio facial plastic surgeon (CFPS). I think I had a little bit of a heart attack when she said that.  She said that hopefully the surgeon will tell her that she's crazy and there is absolutely nothing wrong. But she wants to make absolutely certain. I can appreciate that about her. But it doesn't mean that I'm freaking out any less. I called the CFPS to make an appointment and asked when the soonest I could come in would be. He went on to tell me that they have certain clinics on certain days and that the nurse would have to see BB's clinical notes before they could schedule it. Then he threw words out like craniosynostosis and plagiocephaly. Lord have mercy! BB doesn't look like she has any of these issues. Her head is round, no flat spots. And we haven't seen any skull issues yet. LaLa, how did you do it? I don't know how you didn't crawl in a hole and never come out! So, all of that so say, we don't think anything is going on (recap: BB's left cheek is smaller than her right...just a little), most people's faces are not perfectly symmetrical, and we are just seeing this doctor as a precaution.  I am still terrified. Stress eating ( not good for my diet plan...), crying when I look at my baby girl and she smiles at me. I'm praying and praying that everything is ok. I am still waiting on the medical records to get faxed over so I can make an appointment. It will most likely be in February sometime.

On a different note, AB is doing well. He got in trouble at school this week and I had to go pick him up to avoid suspension! They are allowed on the computer at school and one of the teachers showed them how to make their own cartoons/animations on a website. They can access this site but there is a section where they can play games too. AB and his friend started playing a game that was rated R and was all shooting and blood and killing. I'm suprised that this site wasn't blocked. Even so, he KNEW better! He blamed everyone else for him getting in trouble, typical stuff. I told him that he has to take responsibility for his own actions and that no one forced him to do something. He makes his own decisions and if someone gets you in trouble, maybe you need to not hang around with them. He also got in trouble for running and playing in the bathrooms and not listening to the teacher. Geez...kids! =) It wasn't the worst thing in the world but we acted like it was. He cried and cried. I think because he doesn't like for anyone to be upset. Especially at him. He was grounded from video games, friends, skateboarding (although it's been too cold anyway) for a week. I think he won't be doing that again any time soon. We didn't get loud and scream. We calmly talked to him and laid it all out.

We are hoping to finalize his adoption some time next month. It all depends on social workers and how quickly they can get their stuff together.

Now, on to a totally different note. Something I'm really proud of! Who knew that I would be a homemade baby food making kind of mom!? Not me!



Avocado and applesauce babyfood!


It's actually pretty simple and I know for certain what BB is eating...no additives or preservatives. Plus you only need a few things to make it.

You start out with organic fruits and veggies. I started her on applesauce. Then moved on to avocados! Sweet potatoes will be next!





Then you peel, cut into chunks and steam. I use this rice cooker that has a steamer on top. Works well!




Once the food is nice and soft, I put it into this blender and add some cooking liquid to thin it out.  This thing sounds like an airplane taking off! It is awesome! I bet it would grind rocks if I put them in there!



Once the food is nicely pureed, I put it into BPA free ice cube trays and freeze!


This is actually pears...we'll try those next month. Once it is frozen, pop into freezer bags and thaw as needed.

The result?


A happy baby who loves avocado and applesauce mixed together! She finished the entire bowl. And barely spit any out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.childrenfirst.nhs.uk/families/experts/c/cheeks.html

Marcia (123 blog) said...

I am also having mini heart attacks here - instinctively I still don't think there is anything wrong with her but boy are those professionals scaring me.

On a lighter note, LOVE the ice-cubes. I need to blog on this too as I'm also doing my own baby food. I feel right Martha Stewart-ish :)

MissNoAngel (find me on Twitter) said...

Oh hun, I am so, SO sorry that you even have to worry about this. I'm hoping and praying like mad that it's not cranio (I honestly don't see anything in the pic, so I'm very hopeful).

Check out this website www.craniokids.org

It was a LIFE SAVER for us. ((hugs))