My, how she's grown!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, August 24, 2009

Here we go!!!

I can't even believe how last week flew by. I mean, it was Sunday, I blinked my eyes, and it was Sunday again. We've been soooo busy! I have no idea what to expect when BB makes her grand entrance into the world. All I know is that I will never sleep again! Everyone is telling me to get my sleep now, but of course when you are almost 10 months pregnant that is not such an easy task. It's all good though. I'm ready for this girl to get here. Yes I still panic most of the day and it doesn't help that her movements have slowed down over the past couple of days. Of course she is so smooshed that she doesn't have much choice! I got back for another growth scan tomorrow so we will see how big she is. Then to the hospital tomorrow night. GULP! I'll update you guys when she gets here!

AB is doing great. We met with our social worker on Friday and it was actually a nice visit. I told her how good he has been and she warned me not to be fooled by the honeymoon phase. I totally get that he's on his best behavior now. I've even seen a few protests from him. Nothing big but just enough for me to be able to put my foot down and let him know that I'm not afraid of being the mom. It's actually good thing that this is happening.

This whole process has been so.....interesting/strange/awesome. I've mentioned before that there has not been some magical moment of falling in love as a family. It's not a bad thing and I'm not complaining about it. I just want to let people know the reality of it. I'm guessing that it's very different with a little baby for obvious reasons. The decision we made to adopt was not based on emotions at all. It was based solely on commitment to a child and our commitment to each other as a couple wanting to be a family. I mentioned this to our social worker and she was all, "Can you come tell our prospective families that?". She said that so many people expect the bonding to happen immediately and for everything to be just perfect from the moment they meet their child. That's not reality! Having AB has been awesome! He's a great kid and as cute as can be. We are bonding and he is letting his guard down more every day. He's been giving us big wet kisses on the cheek and it's just precious! He's letting us love on him more too. But he's scared to death! Can you imagine going through everything that he's been through? I imagine that it will take about a year (or at least until his adoption is finalized in 6 months) for us to all find our groove. And that's ok! Our family dynamic is about to change in a huge way with BB coming. None of quite know what to expect but we will figure it out...just like any family does. I already love this little guy and I'm very glad that he is mine!

School starts tomorrow so we have lots to accomplish today. We see the counselor again today and then meet the teachers tonight. I'm navigating new territory, that's for sure! It's been fun!

I'll post as I can over the next few days. Please send prayers our way for a healthy baby and easy delivery!

3 comments:

Amy (TheGiggleWorm) said...

I can't believe your daughter will be here in just a few short days!!!! Can't wait to see pictures.

And don't worry about the bonding thing. It will come. I bonded very quickly with Lil J. It took Frank a lot longer. But, now we really are a family. He has been here almost 6 months already! Wow, the time flies :)

jill said...

Wishing you lots and lots of happiness in the exciting days to come!!

Wes and Summer said...

Praying for everything to go smoothly! Talk about a lot going on.